Monday, February 23, 2009

Hands and Feet

Our dentist and his wife, who happen to be dear friends of ours as well, took time out to be with us right after Malaya was born. He told us that he was willing to make molds and cast her hands and her feet. Thanks Doc Mike and Ate Tatie...
When they gave us the box with the castings inside of them we opened it up and were so surprised at how detailed they were. The little wrinkles, fingernails, and toenails were defined and just so beautiful. This has been one of the most precious gestures and gifts that anyone could ever give to us. These are things that we can hold and look at anytime we want. People at the commemoration service commented on how precious this was. Today I carried the box to the couch and held each hand and foot and cried aloud. I told her how much I have loved her ever since I found out about her and will always love her. I told her how beautiful she was. I kept touching her second toe, which was significantly taller than her big toe (especially on the right foot) and laughed at how much they looked like King's. I held her hands in mine and looked at each fingernail and wrinkle and sobbed with all the pain of missing her.

I told God that I was grateful that she never knew she was "broken" and was okay to be the one hurting instead of her. I thanked God, for these were the feet that did such a great job of kicking me. Oh, how special was the time that we had together.
Needless to say, these casts are helping me and I will treasure and take care of these precious hands and feet because they show me how wonderfully she was made and remind me of the time I had with her.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Such beautiful castings...holding her precious hands will help your healing process. I am so proud of you for entering into the grief...there will be peace in the midst of the heartache.

Sending much love,
Laura