Tuesday, April 28, 2009

March for Babies-Team Walk for Malaya Charis


On Sunday, April 26 at 8:30am, the March began. It started at Fashion Island Mall and was a somewhat hilly walk in parts of Newport Beach that I have never been to. It was a beautiful, sunny day :).

I don't want to forget all the people who walked with us so I'm just gonna list them (in no particular order) - Mom, Dad, Nico, JoAnn, Macky, Noah, Phuong, Michelle, Shanon, Mark, Kat, Julian, Janice, Dan, Jordan, Mar, Jam, Alex, Claire, Earl, Judy, Leo, and Justine. Jamaica, Jourdan, Joanna and their daughters Angelina and Trinity came later to my parents' house to join us for pizza.
I love these people. I know that it's hard to know what to do to help me and King through this time...besides praying for us, listening to us, and checking in on us, I don't know what else to tell them to do when they ask. So...from the bottom of my heart I appreciate those who came out and those who donated because they want to show their support and love for us and for babies in general. Really, I felt so loved. I also saw a few couples from my perinatal bereavement group there.

The walk was 5.5 miles long and there were SO many people. I've never done a walk before. I have done 5ks, so this was nice and different because it wasn't a competition and I didn't feel like I had to walk faster than the other people. It was just so cool and so much fun to be outdoors with all these people. Alex (age 4) said that we were walking in a parade for babies....heheh. We were all exhausted afterward (I think mostly because of the sun).


We all wore shirts that said a line from ee cummings "i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)" and on the bottom it said "Malaya Charis Sacramento - Birth and Heaven date - January 30, 2009"

It was so good to have friends and family around because I know that they miss her, too. It was so sad and I felt like it was unfair to have the sign that said "Walking in Loving Memory of Malaya Charis Sacramento - January 30, 2009". It was like a stab in the heart again to actually see her name there.
We saw one of the couples, Danielle and Duane, at this time and stopped to take pictures with their signs. Danielle asked us if we were supposed to smile as we were holding both of our babies' signs to take pictures. I said, "I don't know...I really don't know."


Right now, we honestly should be at home, caring for our newborn...Don't get me wrong, March of Dimes is a GREAT cause and I'm glad I did it (overall, King and I had a fun time with family and friends), but if I had it my way I would have preferred changing Malaya's smelly diaper over raising money and walking 5.5 miles for other babies.

No comments: